With Easter Sunday soon to arrive, I thought this would be a perfect spring salad dish. This was another recipe that Hanja (my cool neighbor friend) and I made last weekend.
We thought it would be fun to use crunchy toasted pumpkin seeds and toss in some basil to freshen things up. I had never roasted beets so Hanja was kind enough to show me the ropes.
Roasting beets would be much easier if you didn’t live at The Beach House. Our apartment smoke detectors are much more sensitive than your average smoke detector. Let me put it this way, during the roasting process, we had quite the arm-workout fanning the smoke out of my house. It was kind of hilarious.
I really enjoy the flavor and texture of this salad. It looks beautiful served on a long white dish… and if you happen to be a meat lover- throw some crispy pancetta on top!
Why I LOVE this salad:
- It tastes even better than it looks
- Beets are my fav… I should add them to my favorites list.
- Great dish to bring to any party
- You can eat it while on The Thin Cleanse
Beet, Avocado & Arugula Salad with Pumpkin Seeds
Yield: 6 cups of salad // Prep time: 20 minutes // Cooking time: 1 hour // Total time: 1hr 20min
- 2 Fresh beets, roasted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions (green parts only) thinly sliced
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ avocado, diced
- 3 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove stems from beets and coat lightly with olive oil. Wrap beets in foil and roast in oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool. Place each beet in a paper towel and gently remove skin (the paper towel help keep your hands from turning pink).
- In a large bowl, toss beets, celery, cucumber and green onions.
- To make dressing, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To serve, toss vegetables with arugula and salad dressing. Top with avocado and seeds.