Spicy Chipotle Shredded Chicken
Yields: 4 servings
- 3 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 1 teaspoon of their sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (store bought is fine – I just use my own so there’s no added sugar)
- 1½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup light beer (or replace with ½ cup broth)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Mince the chipotle peppers and garlic cloves. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and chipotle; saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Smells will be yummy.
- Add the orange juice, chicken broth, beer, and cilantro and turn the heat to high to bring to a boil. Add the raw chicken breasts; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board for a few minutes to cool. Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Meanwhile, keep the sauce left in the pan over low heat. Whisk in the mustard and cook the sauce until it reduces by about half and you get all that mmm mmm good flavor in a thicker, more concentrated sauce. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the sauce and toss to combine. Top with additional fresh cilantro.
I’d love to hear your comments!!